Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he’s old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
Children are the heritage of the Lord. They are so precious in the eyes of God, and they are a beautiful gift to every family and to the world. God blessed us with children for us to train them to meet his standard. He expects us to help and teach them to become vessels unto honor and to be the best they can be in life. Failure to do so will be unpleasing in his eyes.
Either parents or guardians are just a caretaker. We can only try our best for them and God will do rest because he’s the original owner of them. We are just a stewardship for them, so we must raise them to level that God expected the to be.
Here are 17 ways out many to raise Godly children, now let’s ride.
- Soak them with the word of God. Teaching them the word of God is the very first thing we should let them know. By doing this, their heart will be set on the things of God. The psalmist says the word is a lamp unto my feet and a lamp unto my path. When children are soaked with the word of God from their early stage, they will flourish and shine because the word will shine light in to their path.
- Don’t be too strict on them. Many people thinks by being too strict on children is the only way they can always learn and obey I’m sorry; it doesn’t really work that way. Being strict on children will only hardened their heart the more and makes them feel you don’t love them. I’m not saying they should not be corrected when they go wrong, of course they should but let everything be done In proper moderation.
- Don’t over pamper them. Don’t over pamper them and don’t be too strict on them. Let everything be done in orderliness and in moderation. You are a nurse doesn’t mean you should over nurse them, you’re a soldier doesn’t mean that you should be beat them with koboko always. Children are apple of God’s eye for God sake. They are meant to be catering for. If they go wrong, correct them in a well appropriate manner and in a Godly way.
- Pray for them. This is one of the most important areas we must not neglect in raising our children. Children needs prayers likewise parents too. The little prayer we pray for them today can go a very long way in their life. You don’t have to wait till things go wrong before you pray for them. Pray for them always either they are performing well or not. You can hold a vigil for them in your room at least once a week and also pray for them every day in your quiet time or morning devotion.
- Teach them how to pray. Don’t pray for them only, teach them also how to pray by so doing your mind will be at peace and the both of you will be pleasing in God’s eye. You can start with the Lord’s Prayer. (see Matthew 6:9-13)
- Be a good example. Like a popular Yoruba adage that says ile lan ti ko eso ro de. Which simply means charity begins at home. You have to lead by example because whatever you do in their presence is being stored up in their brain. After a while they will start to replicate and imitate your character, it might not be now but it will surely shows up one day. If you are the type that curse, fights, gossips, drinks, or smoke always. They will definitely take after you. Whatever you sow, you shall reap. Be a good role model to your children and you will glad you did.
- Teach them simple etiquette. It’s a shameful thing that most parents have neglected their role as guardians by handling their children to their school teacher to teach them what they are supposed to learn from them. It’s your duty to teach them some of these things. Teachers are now taking the important roles of some parents these days which is not really a good idea.Teachers have their parts to play, we also as parents have our own part to play. And don’t forget that teachers also have their own children to cater for too. So it’s your duty to first teach your children simple etiquette. Don’t leave everything in the hands of their teachers. do your part and let the teachers do the rest.
- Do your duty a parents / guardians. Like earlier, don’t neglect your role a parents by allowing other people to take after your responsibility. Neglecting little things can cost you a lot. The little might not count for anything at present but as time goes by; they will pile up and turn out to something else which might surpass what you can handle.
“If parents are too busy to train a child they would not be too busy to attend to their trouble”.
- Keep an eye on what they watch and listen to. You must be interested in everything they do. Many of the programs that are shown on television these days are done and dusted. They are nothing but rubbish programs. Some of these programs can cause a lot of damages to the mentality of children because they are arranged in the pit of hell to minister useless and foolish message in to their soul. Know clearly that whatever consumes your mind controls your life. Whatever ever they watch or listen to will have an effect in their life in future. Same thing applies to worldly music. Worldly music are composed and lyrically given by demons to entice children and to occupy their hearts with lustful desires. Be interested in what they watch and the kind of music they listen to. In as much they are still in your custody, you must pay proper attention to what they watch and the kind of music they listen to.
- Watch the company they keep. Show me your friend and I will tell you who you are. If you want your child to be a mighty vessel in God’s hand. You must start watching the kind of friends they keep. Any friend you know that’ll not add positive value to their life, you have to separate them. Find out the kind of company they keep. Don’t leave them to choose any kind of friend they want but you can teach and help them to know the kind of friends they should follow. Your children’s friend will either make or mar their destiny.
- Buy a copy of a bible for them. From day one of the child’s birth, the bible should be the first gift you should present to your child. It is the best gift you can ever present to them.
- Teach them how to read the bible. When they are matured enough to read and write, teach them how to read the bible. Always read it out loud to their ears and let it stick in their mind. You can create a time for bible study so they can get used to it. Remember Joshua 1:8 says,This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
- Give them what they need not what they want. If you allow them to point out what they wanted, then you must be prepared to spend more than what you budget and also ready to buy the whole world for them. The best way not to spend unnecessary cash on things they want is to provide them with what they need. If you provide them with what they need, the things they wanted might not necessarily be necessary.
- Spend quality time with them. Never stay away from them for too long, always try to be round them and play with them. Create quality time for them so that you can truly discover who they really are. By so doing you will quickly discover who they are likely to become. Some children can’t go near daddy especially when he’s reading punch newspaper, so as the mother too, when seated at the front of T.V watching Africa magic.
If you don’t play with them, they might start to feel dull and lonely which may affect their mental performance. Parental touch makes children happy so try to spend quality time with them.
“Children can be a source of blessings to their parents”
- Plan your holidays. Many parents might not fancy going out on holidays, vacations with their children or taking them out just to catch a glimpse of fun. They just feel that hanging around under that coconut tree in the compound is enough? My friend, that isn’t enough. It will be wonderful thing to Move out from that garden and Plan to go on vacations, holidays or outing with your family, they will enjoy it and they will love it. You can make it weekly, monthly, biannual or annually. Take them out and be proud of them. It also will bring your family more closely than ever and enhance your relationship with them.
- Introduce them to Christ. Parents are supposed to be the first preacher to preach about Christ to their children. If you don’t preach Christ to them they will definitely get preached to outside and you might lose a reward for not preaching Christ to them initially at their early stage.
And you know children can be very funny, they will say my mummy and my daddy didn’t tell me anything about Christ which very embarrassing.
Immediately you know they are becoming wise, introduce Christ to them before others will help you and grab the portion of your reward. I pray nobody will steal your crown in Jesus name.
- Love them equally. As parents, you are supposed to love them equally. Never love them partially or irrationally. If God has blessed you with more than one or you are expecting another one, you are meant to love them equally. By loving them equally, you won’t create enmity between them and they will feel safe all the time. Remember, love conquer all things.
Children are apple of God’s eye and they are very precious in God’s eye. The way you train them will determine what they will likely become in life; remember children are the heritage of the Lord, God is the only that can take care of them, you are to do your best and he will do the rest. Thanks and God bless you.